Sri Aurobindo Ashram Puducherry Entry Fee
- No Entry Fee
Sri Aurobindo Ashram Puducherry Phone
0413 223 3604
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 34 reviews
Sri Aurobindo Ashram Puducherry Address: Near Junction of Manakula Vinayagar No. 9 Marine Street, Manakula Vinayagar Koil St, Near Junction of, White Tow, Puducherry, , 605002, India
Puducherry Tour Packages
Sri Aurobindo Ashram Puducherry Timings
|Monday||8:00 am – 12:00 pm
2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
|Tuesday||8:00 am – 12:00 pm
2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
|Wedesday||8:00 am – 12:00 pm
2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
|Thursday||8:00 am – 12:00 pm
2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
|Friday||8:00 am – 12:00 pm
2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
|Saturday||8:00 am – 12:00 pm
2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
|Sunday||8:00 am – 12:00 pm
2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
A place that needs no introduction in Pondicherry is Sri Aurobindo Ashram. Widely renowned for its significance, heritage, and values, Sri Aurobindo Ashram invites people to spend some ME time in serenity and has everything you need to cut off yourself from the hustle-bustle of everyday life.
One of the most sought-after tourist destinations to visit on your Pondicherry tour, Sri Aurobindo Ashram is a kind of place where you can seek spirituality in a laid-back atmosphere and attain inner peace by meditating in its serene aura. The magical environment of this shrine allows you to forget everything as soon as you step inside the ashram and the beautiful backdrop will leave you awe-struck, thus making the overall setting look even more spectacular.
Unlike other ashrams, Sri Aurobindo Ashram bustles with high energy and has a modern setting that catches the attention of thousands of people from all over the world. It is considered as the best heritage property in the city and indeed a place that deserves your presence.
History of Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Puducherry
Dating its history back to almost 100 years ago, Sri Aurobindo Ashram was founded by Aurobindo Ghosh after he retired from politics. He was joined by a few of the followers who believed in his ideals and had the same aim just like him. They all started living together in the ashram and looked after all the daily chores including reading, writing, and meditating.
In April 1920, Mira Alfassa, or “The Mother”, who was an ardent follower of Aurobindo Ghosh, came to Pondicherry to seek guidance from him and hence, became an important part of this ashram. Soon, more and more people paved their way towards this ashram and in no time, it became a small community that was finally converted into an ashram in the year 1926. After being officially inaugurated, the ashram showed rapid growth and the headcount kept on increasing.
Seeing the growth of the ashram all these years, new departments were also formed such as nursing homes, a dining room, a library, a sports playground, workshops, etc. Today, the ashram has grown a lot and it boasts several small buildings which are interconnected and have more than 2000 community members.
Interesting Facts About Sri Aurobindo Ashram
- The founder of this ashram, who was an Indian philosopher, a yoga guru, and a poet, was born in Kolkata on August 15th, 1872.
- Mira Alfassa or “The Mother” took the complete responsibilities of this ashram on her shoulders after the death of Aurobindo Gosh in 1950.
- It is managed by a public charitable trust who make sure that the vision and legacy of the ashram are followed properly.
Image Gallery of Sri Aurobindo Ashram Puducherry
Things to do at Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Puducherry
Wondering how to keep yourself engaged all the time at Sri Aurobindo Ashram in Pondicherry? Well, with so many things available to see and do, one can indulge in several activities to make the most of their trip. These include:
- Relax and de-stress your mind in the calm and peaceful surroundings of this ashram. It is a great place to experience the sense of serenity and breathe in the fresh air.
- Pave your way towards the visitor’s centre to watch a short movie that explains everything about how the ashram was formed. It’s a great attraction for all those who want to dig deep into the history and life of people of this spiritual place.
- See how the Samadhi of Aurobindo Ghosh and The Mother is beautifully decorated with fresh flowers. It’s a white marble shrine where the bodies of both of these spiritual people were buried.
- Visit the library to learn about the history of the ashram in detail. Established by The Mother in 1954, the library boasts over 80,000 books in 25 different languages along with several Indian and Western classic musical tapes and recordings. Visit it on Wednesday to listen to Indian classical music at 8:30 PM every week. Or if you are a fan of Western classical music, you can plan to head towards it on every Tuesday and Friday at the same time.
- Make sure to take some time off for the famous Manakula Vinayagar Temple, which is located next to Sri Aurobindo Ashram. An ancient temple dedicated to the presiding deity of Lord Ganesha, the Manakula Vinayagar Temple is widely renowned for its significance and has got a traditional Dravidian Architecture that needs your attention.
- Head to Senteurs-Fleurs en Flacon to buy various fragrances of your choice. Set up by The Mother in 1959, Senteurs-Fleurs en Flacon is a place where a diverse range of fragrances are produced to heal the different human body parts. Other items that are exclusively sold here include handkerchiefs, sarees and many Ayurvedic products.
- Shop at the Ashram Bookstores to purchase the books, CDs, DVDs, photographs, gift cards, and other items for your loved ones. You can also visit the local markets to bring souvenirs back home.
Entry Fee and Timings of Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Puducherry
There is no entry fee to visit Sri Aurobindo Ashram in Puducherry. It opens its doors for people from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM during the day and then from 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM in the evening on all days. The recommended exploration time is 2-3 hours. Please note that children under 3 years of age are not allowed to enter the ashram.
Travel Tips for Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Puducherry
- Please maintain complete silence whenever you are inside the premises of the Ashram and keep your mobile phones switched off.
- It is not allowed to do photography without proper permission. Ask the authorities in advance in case you wish to click a few pictures.
Best Time to Visit Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Puducherry
Since it is a seaside location, the overall climate around the Sri Aurobindo Ashram remains the same throughout the year. However, visiting it during the summer season i.e., from March to June can be a little uncomfortable for you. Because, at this time, the humidity level goes high (sometimes as high as 93%), thus making it difficult for everyone to explore its surroundings with ease.
Therefore, winters are considered the best for all those who want to make the most of their Pondicherry tour and enjoy it to the fullest. The weather is pleasant and cool from October to February, with an average temperature ranging from 17-degree Celsius to 22-degree Celsius.
One can also plan their trip to Sri Aurobindo Ashram in the month of August. On August 15th, it’s the birth anniversary of Sri Aurobindo, which is celebrated with great zest and fervour and hence, gives its devotees another reason to flock to this location.
Facilities at Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Puducherry
1. Tours: The tours are conducted twice a week by Autocare Services to give an overview of the ashram and its various departments. It covers Ashram Office, Playground, French Institute, Library, Art House, Samadhi, Auroville, Auroshree, Vak Bookshop, Auroshikha, La Tienda, Golconde, and Le Foyer de Soldat.
2. Exhibition and Video Programs: An exhibition is organized throughout the week to give a glimpse into the everyday life of Aurobindo Gosh and The Mother in the ashram. Other than that, there is also a facility of video presentation available that covers one of the vital subjects related to the life of these two people. It runs every day except Sundays.
3. Cultural Programs: Various cultural programs such as dance, poetry, music, and art are held inside the main building of the ashram for the enjoyment of people. These programs do not require an entry pass and are open for everyone. However, there are few special programs that need an entry pass, but that would always be mentioned on the notice board for your convenience.
In addition to these facilities, the ashram authorities also invite people to join the Collective Meditations at the Samadhi (from 7:25 PM to 7:50 PM on every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday) and the playground (from 7:45 PM to 8:15 PM on every Thursday and Sunday).
How to Reach Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Puducherry?
Due to its close proximity to Rue de La Marine Beach, it can be easily accessed by tourists via local transport. However, to reach the ashram, one needs to step down in Pondicherry, which can be done:
By Air: The nearest domestic airport is Pondicherry Airport and it receives direct flights from only Hyderabad and Bangalore city. However, if you’re coming from different cities including Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Kolkata, Kochi etc., you can board a connecting flight and experience a hassle-free journey. From there, look for Ola, Uber or hire a taxi from the list of top car rental companies in Pondicherry to commute to wherever you want to go.
By Train: Another convenient way is via railways. Catch a train to Villupuram Junction Railway Station to enjoy a train journey from the metro cities of India. After arriving at the Villupuram Station, one can further get a local train to Pondicherry Railway Station to get to the ashram with ease. It is considered as the closest railway station to the shrine place and takes only 5 minutes to cover the distance.
By Bus/Road/Self-Drive: Last but not the least, for your convenience, there is also a facility of private and state-owned buses available that run frequently to and from the city at pocket-friendly prices. Although it is time-consuming, it’s great for all those who don’t want to spend much on their travel transfers. You can also choose to self-drive to overlook the scenic views and beauty of Pondicherry all the way. The choice is completely yours!
Book an all-inclusive Pondicherry tour package with us to explore the popular sightseeing places in Pondicherry. From flight booking to hotel/resort reservation to finalizing the itinerary depending on your budget and holiday duration, we at Pondicherry Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, take care of everything. All you need to do is to just pack your bags. To know more about our offerings, we request you to fill the Contact Us form.