Mahatma Gandhi Statue Puducherry Entry Fee
- No entry Fee
Mahatma Gandhi Statue Puducherry Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 37 reviews
Mahatma Gandhi Statue Puducherry Address: Beach Rd, White Town, Puducherry, 605001, India
The Mahatma Gandhi Statue in Pondicherry was installed to pay respect to the Father of the Nation. Perched on the Seaside Promenade, Mahatma Gandhi Statue is Asia’s tallest statue that attracts thousands of people every year due to its essence and is undeniably a prominent spot to visit on your Pondicherry tour.
History and Architecture of Mahatma Gandhi Statue, Puducherry
Dating its history back to the year 1965, the statue of Mahatma Gandhi was built by the renowned artist, Roy Choudhary, who studied in the Government College of Art and Crafts in Chennai, Madras.
Also considered as one of the major landmarks in Pondicherry, the prime highlight of this site is – it is surrounded by eight beautiful white carved pillars. All these pillars were exclusively brought from Gingee Fort, which is approximately 70 Km away from the heart of the city.
It took almost a year to complete the construction of this statue. And finally, on 26 January 1965, the statue was officially inaugurated and made open to the public.
Interesting Facts about Mahatma Gandhi Statue, Puducherry
- The statue stands 13 feet high i.e., 4 meters in height.
- It is placed directly opposite the Old Port Pier, which is a historic landmark in Pondicherry.
- There is a tunnel underneath the statue that takes you directly to Gingee Fort. In the beginning, it was accessible to the public. But, after reporting a number of deaths in which many people lost their lives due to suffocation, the tunnel was closed for everyone.
Image Gallery of Mahatma Gandhi Statue Puducherry
Things to do at Mahatma Gandhi Statue, Puducherry
Wondering what to do at this historic site other than just admiring its beauty? Well, with so many things to do and see around the Gandhi Statue for tourists of all ages, you can keep yourself occupied all the time. A few of them are as follow:
1. Overlook the Sunrise at Promenade Beach: Witness the hues of sunrise with your partner on a beach filled with shimmering sand, beautiful coastline, and cozy ambiance and create memories for a lifetime. You can also come here for sunsets as well.
2. Visit the Pondicherry Museum: Head to the Pondicherry Museum to see a wide collection of historical artifacts and sculptures from Vijayanagar Temple. Although the museum is small in size, it depicts the local history in detail.
3. Shopping: Shop until you drop. From an apparel store that is known for selling a variety of cotton prints at competitive prices to a gift shop that specializes in handicrafts and artifacts to a souvenir store, you will here get something of everyone’s interest.
Entry Fee and Timings to Visit Mahatma Gandhi Statue, Puducherry
There is no entry fee to visit Mahatma Gandhi Statue in Pondicherry. It is open for its tourists throughout the day from Monday to Sunday and the recommended exploration time is 1-2 hours.
Travel Tips for Mahatma Gandhi Statue, Puducherry
- Do not worry about the parking space in case you’re coming via your own vehicle. The Promenade Beach has ample parking for everyone.
- Do not forget to carry your beach essentials whenever you wish to stop by the Gandhi Statue. You never know when you feel like playing with the azure waters of the beach.
- For your convenience, the restrooms are also available at the beach. So, if you want to freshen up, you can easily utilize them, but they are all pay and use.
Best Time to Visit Mahatma Gandhi Statue, Puducherry
As an avid traveler, you can enjoy a visit to Pondicherry at any time of the year, however, if you want to make the most of your trip, it would be better to plan it during the winter season that begins in October and continues until March.
At this time, the temperature remains low (varying between 17 degrees Celsius to 22 degrees Celsius) and the weather remains cool and pleasant enough for tourists to explore the popular sightseeing places in Pondicherry.
Try heading towards the Mahatma Gandhi Statue on the Promenade Beach either in the early morning or before the sunset to avoid the unnecessary crowd and to experience the tranquillity of the location.
How to Reach Mahatma Gandhi Statue, Puducherry?
Since the Gandhi Statue is situated at a distance of only 2 Kms from the Pondicherry Bus Stand, it can be easily accessed by all means of local transport. You can opt for an auto-rickshaw ride, a bus ride, or simply choose to book a taxi from the list of top car rental companies in Pondicherry to commute to your desired location.
- Distance from the airport: 6.2 Km
- Distance from the railway station: 1.5 Km
Other than the Gandhi Statue, the city also boasts several must-visit tourist attractions that need your attention on your Pondicherry tour. So, if you want to explore all, you can go ahead with our all-inclusive Pondicherry tour packages that will help you enjoy your trip to the fullest.
We at Pondicherry Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, assist you with every activity related to your tour, whether it is about flight tickets, accommodation, sightseeing, or anything else you wish to cover. Our team of travel experts does not mind going the extra mile to serve you with the best of our services. With us, you can also leverage the benefits of travel discount coupons to relish the golden time at pocket-friendly prices. What else? To know more about our offerings, we request you to fill the Contact Us form.