Pondicherry Museum Entry Fee
- 10 per person for Adults
- 5 per person for Children
- 50 per person for Foreigners
Pondicherry Museum Phone
0413 233 6203
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 50 reviews
Pondicherry Museum Address: Easwaran Kovil Street, Canteen St, Puducherry, 605001, India
Puducherry Tour Packages
Pondicherry Museum Timings
|Monday||Closed / Holiday|
|Tuesday||9:00 am – 6:30 pm|
|Wedesday||9:00 am – 6:30 pm|
|Thursday||9:00 am – 6:30 pm|
|Friday||9:00 am – 6:30 pm|
|Saturday||9:00 am – 6:30 pm|
|Sunday||9:00 am – 6:30 pm|
Note: Pondicherry Museum is Closed on Mondays and National HolidaysLinks: Website | Map
The Pondicherry Museum, locally referred to as the Pondy Museum, is located in the Bharathi Park of Pondicherry. It exhibits a wide range of artifacts and narrates the story of the city’s rich cultural heritage. The museum is well known among history buffs and travelers looking to explore Pondicherry.
Artifacts like stones, jewelry, coins, and statues excavated from the Arikamedu heritage site are displayed at the museum. These depict Pondicherry’s importance as a trade port from 1st Century BC to 2nd Century AD. It was a famous maritime center during that period, serving the traders from Rome, the Cholas, and the French. The relics from those times have been excavated by the Archaeological Survey of India at Arikamedu.
The museum also displays bronze statues and stone sculptures depicting the vibrant life of the Pallava and Chola dynasties. You can also witness remnants of the French colonial rule in the city. It is known for the relics in the form of furniture and other items of the Church. Pondicherry Museum gives you a chance to marvel at the diversity of the history of Pondicherry and understand its influence on the city’s culture.
Architecture of Pondicherry Museum
The Pondicherry Museum has magnificent architecture. Located in the White Town Area at St. Louis Street, it has been established in a former Law Building. The building was constructed in 1788 and was later converted into what we see as the Pondicherry Museum today. It has a colonial architecture with an attractive facade and inscriptions in French. The two-storeyed building is painted in yellow and peach. It has large stone statues and fossilized tree trunks displayed in the foyer and courtyard.
History of Pondicherry Museum
The Pondicherry Museum was established in 1983. It exhibits the archaeological findings and cultural evidence of the region. The museum has a collection of over 6500 exhibits that date back to the prehistoric era. It was promoted as a center of knowledge and exploration of the history of the city.
Exhibits displayed at the Pondy Museum can be broadly divided into three eras- the early period from the 1st century to the 4th century, the rule of the Pallavas and Cholas, and the European era during which it was under the French colonial rule.
Image Gallery of Pondicherry Museum
Things to do at Pondicherry Museum
- You can see the largest collection of Bronze statues from the time the Chola dynasty ruled the region. There are around 81 statues on display.
- The central space on the ground floor has 3 ancient means of transport- a palanquin (a rocking chair), a coach, and a Pousse-Pousse (the initial version of the rickshaw). You can explore how people from ancient times traveled.
- All exhibits are well labeled so you can read about them and understand their historical importance.
Entry Fee and Timings of Pondicherry Museum
The entry fee to visit Pondicherry museum is Rs. 10 for adults and Rs. 5 for children. Foreigners need to pay Rs. 50 to visit the museum.
The Pondicherry museum is open from 9 am to 6:30 pm on all days except Mondays and national holidays.
How to reach Pondicherry Museum
Puducherry Museum is located in the heart of the city near Bharathi Park. It is well connected with the bus stands of Pondicherry and the nearest railway station. The Museum can be easily reached through the nearby airport by booking a cab.
By Air: Pondicherry Museum is only 6 km away from Puducherry Airport (PNY) and is thereby easily reachable from major cities of the country. The Chennai International Airport (MAA) is around 150 km away from the Pondicherry Museum. You can travel to the town from Chennai airport via public or private bus. Personalized cab services are also available from the airport to Pondicherry.
By Train: The Puducherry railway station in Subbiah Salai is only 2 km from Pondicherry Museum while the Villupuram Junction is only 37 km away. You can reach the town via train through any of these. Buses and taxis ply from the railway stations to the Pondicherry Museum.
By Road: Pondicherry Museum is easily reachable via road. You can book a private taxi from top car rental companies in Pondicherry or opt for public transport in the city. The museum is located on the Pondicherry Bus Stand to JIPMER (Gorimedu) route if you wish to use the local bus service. Aurobindo Ashram Bus Stop is the nearest bus stop, and the museum is at a walkable distance from there.
Interesting facts about Pondicherry Museum
- The Pondicherry Museum houses some of the most ancient and prehistoric artifacts of the region including statues of gods and goddesses.
- It also houses the widest variety of exhibits ranging from the pre-Christian era such as precious stones, Tsung period such as glass beads, and even coins or handicrafts of the European era.
- The museum sports the largest ever collection of bronze statues from the Chola period, along with other ceremonial lamps and urns.
- A special geology room displays Shells and Fossils discovered in the region.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Pondicherry Museum
- Please do not touch any exhibits.
- You can opt for expert guides to take you on a tour of the Pondicherry Museum.
- The museum is equipped with security cameras for surveillance.
- Check for visiting hours and opening days as the museum remains closed on Mondays and national holidays.
- Locker and luggage storage facilities are available at the museum.
- A parking facility is available at the museum.
Looking for a Pondicherry tour package? Get in touch with us at Pondicherry Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA. With affordable yet stylishly designed all inclusive tours, we will ensure that you enjoy every moment of your stay in this beautiful city while exploring the popular sightseeing places of Pondicherry. If you are looking for customized Pondicherry tour packages, feel free to contact our expert travel advisors via the Contact Us form.