Botanical Garden Puducherry Entry Fee
- 10 per person for Adult
- 5 per person for Children
Botanical Garden Puducherry Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 39 reviews
Botanical Garden Puducherry Address: Marimalai, Maraimalai Adigal Salai, Near Anna Statue, Orleanpet, Puducherry, 605001, India
The Botanical Garden (or Jardin Botanique) in Pondicherry was established to be an elegant French garden. It’s a quiet and calming retreat for you to relax and beat the scorching heat. The gate exhibiting the grandiose of French architecture leads you to a world of greenery and peace.
The garden has around 1500 plant varieties, divided into 30 sections across the garden. Giant trees and fossil plants are the highlights of the Pondicherry Botanical Garden. And with this mix of endangered and exotic plant species, Botanical Garden of Pondicherry is a haven for nature lovers.
But the garden is also a one-stop destination for peace, relaxation and fun for tourists. Its primary objective is to promote education and spread awareness about the conservation of plants. Flower shows, training workshops, and plant sales are also carried out here.
The musical fountain, toy train ride and aquarium are the other things to check out here.
History of Botanical Garden Puducherry
The Botanical Garden was developed in 1826 to study the performance of various plants in the climate of Pondicherry. In 1829, around 800-900 plant species were grown here. Later, in 1838, S.G. Perottet, an eminent botanist, added many new and rare species to create a live herbarium. Other botanists also introduced several new plants over time.
After Puducherry became a Union Territory in 1954, the Department of Agriculture took the responsibility of maintaining the Botanical Garden.
Things to do at Botanical Garden Pondicherry
1. Visiting the floral garden – A visit to the Botanical Garden is an excellent excursion for the whole family. The garden offers education along with recreation. It has a diverse range of flowering plants and trees, along with their botanical information. The trees are a mix of indigenous and rare species. And the flowers add a pop of colour to the place. All these, together, add an array of aromas and beauty to the garden.
2. Enjoying the shade of colourful trees – The diverse collection of trees of Pondicherry Botanical Garden includes fruiting trees too. They all have different periods of flowering, fruit production and leaf shedding. So, you're welcomed with new scenery with each seasonal change. And with varying colours, heights and shapes, they provide you with a cool shade to relax all year round. You can just sit in silence, enjoying the call of insects and birds chirping.
3. Sitting by the musical fountain – Another highlight of Botanical Garden Puducherry is the musical dancing fountain. You can spend an entire evening sitting beside the fountain, looking at the colourful spurts of water. The water comes out in different shapes and patterns, dancing to the music.
4. Getting a toy train ride – The Botanical Garden also has a lotus fountain and park for kids to enjoy with their friends and other kids. The kids’ corner has different rides and slides installed for kids to play. It also has a toy train to delight the tiny tots. And it thrills the kids and delights the parents. The ride takes you around the garden giving you a great view of the place.
5. Attending the flower show – An annual flower show is also held in the garden. It displays different kinds of flowers, and it’s popular among nature lovers and children alike. The show is so popular that many refer to it as the Flower Festival. A host of other nature-themed events and activities are also organised at the Botanical Garden in Pondicherry.
6. Checking the other attractions – Among the other garden attractions are the fossil park, conservatory and cactus succulent house. A small aquarium with an exclusive collection is also on the premises.
Image Gallery of Botanical Garden Puducherry
Botanical Garden Pondicherry Timings and Entry Fee
The Botanical Garden Pondicherry opening time is from 10 AM to 5 PM. It is open on all days, and you can visit it any time of the year. The entry fee is ₹10 per person for adults and ₹5 per person for kids.
Best time to visit Botanical Garden in Pondicherry
While Pondicherry has pleasant weather around the year, it’s best to visit the Botanical Garden during the winter months. Winter in Pondicherry starts around November and remains until February. The weather is comforting during those days, and you can spend as much time as you want in the garden.
Time to explore Botanical Garden Puducherry
It usually takes around an hour to visit the Botanical Garden complex. But you can spend more time relaxing here after a tiring day exploring Pondicherry. Parents with kids also enjoy visiting the garden and staying for a long time.
How to reach the Botanical Garden in Puducherry?
Botanical Garden Puducherry is within the city limits, close to the old bus stand. It’s connected well to different parts of Pondicherry via road. The Botanical Garden is only a few hundred metres away from the main bus stand and railway station. And from Pondicherry Airport, it’s about 6 km away.
The nearest major railway station to Botanical Garden Pondicherry is Villupuram Junction (about 40 km away). The nearest international airport is in Chennai (about150 km away).
Now, following are the different ways to reach the Botanical Garden –
By bicycles/motorcycles – Bicycles and motorcycles are available for hire in many places at nominal rates. So, you can take one for the day and visit the Botanical Garden and other sites around.
By auto/cycle-rickshaws – The Botanical Garden is close to the city centre. And auto-rickshaws and cycle-rickshaws are readily available. It takes only minutes to get to this place from most areas of Pondicherry.
By taxis/cabs – Shared taxis are the most comfortable ways to visit Botanical Garden Pondicherry and explore it. Private cabs are also available at affordable prices. You can book one from top car rental companies in Pondicherry for your entire vacation and see all the tourist places in Pondicherry and around.
Are you looking for a Pondicherry tour package? At Pondicherry Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, we can assist you with your travel planning. Based on your budget and other considerations, we will customize an affordable Pondicherry tour package that includes everything you need to enjoy the city’s famous sights and activities. For any queries or suggestions, please fill out the Contact Us form.